Burningissues.net Forum
September 24, 2017, 03:14:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: It is with deep regret that we have had to take the decision to suspend new registrations.   Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Flac files burning  (Read 6739 times)
sachs

« on: June 14, 2009, 02:31:51 PM »

I am about to start dowloading flac files. I listen to my music through the Stereo System, then I burn my private wav Cd's. I have Nero and Burrrn. Do I automatically get wav files as with the MP3 ones? I hope to get an answer because as with related with my previous one I got nothing and I at last discovered by myself that the small clicks after every track was caused by WMP 11, an indeed very bad application. Many thanks and friendly regards.

"There are just atoms and gaps: the rest is opinion" (Democritus; several centuries before Hume and Kant)
shoarthing
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 05:28:19 PM »

. .  umm: not sure if I understand what you want to do.

The nitty-gritty with FLACs is that they are lossless; you convert 'em back to WAVs transparently, then burn the WAVs to CD.

If the FLACs were ripped with a known offset CDROM, & you allow for this [& your burner's offset] when burning, your CD will be identical to the original.

Suggest you look at "Exact Audio Copy" [alias: EAC] - this is written by a geek, for geeks, & works superbly.

sachs

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 08:01:05 PM »

The forum doesn't send allert of answers...
With typical MP3 files when burning, one aautomatically gets wav files... My question is if with flac ones I will get the same (fom Burrn or Nero), or I have to convert them by another appliaction before. And, second, if the size (for CD space matter), of those new files will be the same of those ones gotten from MP3 to WAV. Many thanks. Kind tegards.

"There are just atoms and gaps: the rest is opinion" (Democritus; several centuries before Hume and Kant)
shoarthing
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 06:56:30 AM »

. .  WAVs [made from MP3s], & WAVs [made from FLACs] will be approximately the same size.

The latter will be identical to the source WAV.

There's a good resource for those using FLACs at the project's sourceforge site (http://flac.sourceforge.net/documentation_tasks.html#windows)

. .  . & you will see that burrrn (http://www.burrrn.net/?page_id=4) deals with FLACs fine.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 07:02:30 AM by shoarthing » Logged
sachs

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 01:27:21 PM »

Many thanks. I intend that I will just drag the flac files, as with mp3, in Burrrn, an I will get a WAV CD. Won't I? Friendly greetings. Now I received allert of reply.

sachs

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 04:00:15 AM »

And will wav files from flac files sound noticeable better or is it unuseful to spend more money in flac files if one is going to always burn CD's? Many thanks. Sorry for my ignorance. I would like to say that Burrrn doesn't manage "Mo" files (that I have just downloaded); will it manage flac ones?

Many thanks. I intend that I will just drag the flac files, as with mp3, in Burrrn, an I will get a WAV CD. Won't I? Friendly greetings. Now I received allert of reply.

shoarthing
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 01:59:17 PM »

As said before, FLACs are examples of lossless audio compression (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_data_compression).

Lossless = identical [to the source WAV] in audio information.

You can convert a WAV to a FLAC, then back again, & the two WAVs will be the same.

. .  as for 'do they sound the same?' . . .  well: depends on your hearing, the quality of the kit you're playing back with, & so on.

The technical term is: transparent

I can hear the difference between lossless [FLAC] & 192 kbps VBR *.m4a [very compressed MPEG4 audio] only when the music has a big dynamic range [Jazz/Classical] & when listening through good audio components.

. .  . most pop music has very little dynamic range & to my ears is transparent at around or perhaps just under 128 kbps VBR *.m4a
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 02:39:46 PM by shoarthing » Logged
sachs

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 04:28:45 PM »

My straight question is if it's worth or not to download flac files if one is going to burn private CD's. I mean will these wav files converted from flac files sound really better than those obtained from MP3? Many thanks

shoarthing
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 06:00:09 AM »

My straight question is if it's worth or not to download flac files if one is going to burn private CD's. I mean will these wav files converted from flac files sound really better than those obtained from MP3? Many thanks
. .  see above post, which answers your question.
sachs

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 07:40:44 PM »

Most dear friends, if you read all the above most useful and interesting answers, will see that they do not say if the resulting wav files from flac files are better than the ones obtained from MP3. That's my principal issue for I download files straightly for listening them through my high prformance stereo system that's my only luxury. I do not want to spend two more dollars for every issue in order to get flac files if they are going to be indistinguishable from the other ones when burned. Instead of taking for grant that I cannot read, same amounts of words, or less, could have kindly  :Danswered my enquiry. I am very grateful indeed and daily I am a kind person specially with people who do not understand something I know or are wrong. One writes to these many agreable forums ("fora" in reality), precisely because one looks for understanding help. Greetings and thanks THE FORUM NOT ALWAYS SEND ANSWERS'S ALLERTS.

As related of my listening discrimination it's not the point. It's the start and the 'a priori' of the enquiry. It's obvious I am asking if the above different wav files (from mp3 and from flac) are, indeed, different in their "potential" sounding results secondary to different complexions. I will take care how will I listen them... Greetings
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 07:48:04 PM by sachs » Logged

Graham
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 12:22:28 AM »

S has answered your question but you have not understood the answer.  Yes Flac is better quality than MP3 but that does not necessarily mean that it is worth the extra cost to download.  That would depend on two issues 1) The quality of your HiFi system and 2 the quality of your hearing.  If either is not A1 then the chances are that you will be wasting your money downloading Flac rather than MP3.  If you are unsure then bite the bullet and download one of each and see if you can tell the difference.

AKA Demo
sachs

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 07:15:56 PM »

Thanks a lot. I understand very well and I wished to point just that we were starting, obviously, from the base that everyone asking what I ask is considering that listenning capacity and stereo system are "normallly top of the line". Tautologically, if not, any question or curiosity would be stupid. I am a very acquainted hi fidelity recording listener and that is the reaons for I wanted to know if two more dollars were or were not worth of spending IF AT TRANSFORMING FLAC TO WAV, everything was going again to become the same. I agree very much with your advice but how to compare if not downlowding both types of files for the very same piece of music? My conclusion is there is a secure issue in that the downloaded flac files for listening them straight are better that MP3; but that, also, there is no security that when becoming wav they do not loose again their superiority. As in matter of capacity to differenciate subtle differences between good and very good,well..., that's my (an  everybody 'personal' problem). I am looking for an "objective" physical answer, not an opinion about my ear r my stereo system. I am very grateful and I will follow your advice. Friendly regards.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: