Burningissues.net Forum
August 18, 2017, 12:35:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: It is with deep regret that we have had to take the decision to suspend new registrations.   Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: computer not shutting down- any ideas?  (Read 9314 times)
Fly-Catchers

« on: May 03, 2007, 08:39:10 PM »

Hi
For some time now my computer has a tendancy to "hang" when I shut it down at the end of the day. You end up with a blank screen (black) sometimes with a flashing cursor in the top left hand corner. When you boot up again the computer runs scan disk of course. In the past it used to do this occasionally but now it happens most times! 
I had thought that when I logged off the internet and closed down straightaway that caused this. As when I gave it a few minutes it seemed ok but now it makes no difference.. I have also tried shutting down the AVG virus software and ZoneAlarm firewall first- which leaves just explorer and systray running in the background but it still hangs. If I boot up and close down straight after without logging on it does close down ok. So I do feel that the IE and or the modem might be behind this issue. Any suggestions?

I am using ME with IE 6.

cheers

bill
shoarthing
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 10:35:55 PM »

Hi - have a look at this MS troubleshooting guide (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/273746) . .  the nitty-gritty IME is to have a careful look at the last few entries in 'bootlog.prv' or 'bootlog.txt'

Post back if this article is of no practical help  . . the usual & I'm afraid best advice with Win9x is to reinstall.
jazzbo

Power To The U.G.L.I.

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 05:10:09 AM »

Fl**c****ers

If you have turned on "Fast Shutdown" with a tweak;Turn it off..

Also I'd run the Delindex Program..According to the instructionss for your OS(ME).... (http://Fl**c****ers

If you have turned on "Fast Shutdown" with a tweak;Turn it off..

Also I'd run the Delindex Program..According to the instructionss for your OS(ME)....)http://www.burzurq.com/forum/delindex.html[/url]
jazzbo
Fly-Catchers

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 10:40:14 AM »

Hi - have a look at this MS troubleshooting guide (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/273746) . .  the nitty-gritty IME is to have a careful look at the last few entries in 'bootlog.prv' or 'bootlog.txt'

Post back if this article is of no practical help  . . the usual & I'm afraid best advice with Win9x is to reinstall.

Thanks for that. I did try looking for the 'bootlog.prv' or 'bootlog.txt' file with the Hide protected operating system files unticked- nothing found. I them on bootup did the  Logged (\BOOTLOG.TXT) option but I still cannot find this file!! Huh

I did reinstall the OS in December when I upgraded my hard drive. On the old setup it was also "hanging" on close down but far less often- once a week maybe. I had decided them that it was dependant on how quickly I closed the system down after logging off. Now I can give it ages and still usually fails to shut down correctly. Its an old computer which does all I want (apart from shutting down Roll Eyes ) and I have programs/ hardware on it that have been installed for at least 3 years as I rarely if ever have new stuff on it so its hard to think of a particular cause to this issue. Somehow I think reinstalling might not solve it for long!!
Any ideas where that bootlog txt might be as that does sound an interesting file to look at!!

cheers

bill   
shoarthing
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 11:01:29 AM »

. . . Thanks for that. I did try looking for the 'bootlog.prv' or 'bootlog.txt' file with the Hide protected operating system files unticked- nothing found. I them on bootup did the  Logged (\BOOTLOG.TXT) option but I still cannot find this file!! Huh
. . .

. . .  it is in root C: [if 'C' is the letter of your bootdrive] - you'll have to enable viewing hidden/system files & open it with a text editor.

From memory, most of the shutdown hassles I came across in W9x could be traced to bad drivers - speaking of which, do you have by any chance a 'Creative Labs' product on this PC?
jazzbo

Power To The U.G.L.I.

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 07:07:41 PM »

Fl*****ers
You might try setting the BIOS to default
Then start in Safe Mode..
Delindex should clear the BOOTLOG.txt and a new one will be written when you start up next time..
jazzbo.....
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 07:11:23 PM by jazzbo » Logged
shawnhenry

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 04:46:47 PM »

yeah i got it dont press f8 press f2 then bios csreen will come go to advance by pressing aerrows check IDL configer and reboot ur system then finally it will appear black screen go to last attempt good configer then press enter may be it will help for you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 04:11:36 PM by Graham » Logged
jockygerald

All is well

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 10:32:43 AM »

due to some Trojans it may happen that computer is not shut down properly
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: