Burningissues.net Forum
September 21, 2017, 12:24:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: It is with deep regret that we have had to take the decision to suspend new registrations.   Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: changing operating systems  (Read 10400 times)
daniil

« on: July 04, 2007, 12:16:14 PM »

I finally got 2 partitions set up on my computer. One is XP pro, and the other is Vista Ultimate.

They are both on different partitions, but now it always boots up to Vista.

How can I change it so I can choose between both OS's?
shoarthing
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 08:37:44 AM »

Hi - 2 partitions on one HDD? . .  if so, you *should* be able to get a bootup menu to choose between the two after POST.

. .  try to find Vista's equivalent to: /Settings/Control Panel/System . .  there should be an option there to display a boot menu for x seconds.

If this doesn't work post back - there are other ways . . .
Rob
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 06:54:22 PM »

As S describes above but after getting to 'system' [in Vista], click on the link in left panel "Advanced System Settings" then click on "settings" under "startup and recovery".  Under Default operating system, click the drop down menu and see if Windows XP is even available.  If so, Check the "time to display list of operating systems" and enter the amount of time. You will then have an option at boot.

If Windows XP isn't even listed in Default OS's, There is another problem and the Master Boot Record will need to be worked on.  I assume XP was installed first?  then Vista?

Rob
shoarthing
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 10:13:48 AM »

member 'danill' banned: spammer

[sorry you had your time & good answer wasted Rob: this bot/wanker used the same IP to register two names]
jazzbo

Power To The U.G.L.I.

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 03:04:48 PM »

Helo folks
If you have XP-Pro and can boot to the Installation disk..
Get to the menu allowing you to choose(Enter) "Install XP"
or "REPAIR"(R) This takes you the the Command Console.
You will need the Admin Password(If you dont know of a password Type"ADMIN" for same...
"Once at the DOS-looking(but NOT DOS) Console there is a lst of tools svsilable..
In this caSE I would run the "LISTSVC" command then run "MAP Drives to discover the Operating systems on the drives..
**In the console you can type  eg.)"HELP MAP(or other command)"to see the switches etc...**

Once done I would run the "FIXMBR" Then re-boot and see if you get a choice screen(on Boot) for the two Operating Systems..
I ain't familiar with VISTA much and not sure if it takes over this control of available OSs'....

jazzbo.....................
niaz444

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 04:24:34 PM »

hi

i want to change my opareting system.

any idea.please say me.
jazzbo

Power To The U.G.L.I.

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 05:08:14 AM »

hello
soon as you push the on/off button to turn on the computer...hold down the F* key at the same time..
See what happens
jazzbo
shoarthing
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 10:18:44 AM »

. . F* or F8?

[the latter works for me]  Grin
shawnhenry

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 04:52:03 PM »

I have a dual boot set up to boot to windows by default. I want to be able to switch from within windows to reboot into linux. From linux to be able to choose to reboot to windows.

I had 2 ideas how to do this.

First I tried using grub4dos chainloaded from ntldr using c:\grldr="load grub" in boot.ini and setting the deafault to be the windows partition. in order to shutdown to linux i ran a batch file that rewrote boot.ini "default=" line to read "deafault=c:\grldr" and then reboot the computer. -- It workedto reboot into linux but I cannot write the boot.ini from within linux because then windows is not able to read it. The closest I can do is del the boot.ini file and then it will anyway boot c:\windows. but I want it to default to windowswith a choice for linux.

Second way I thought about (but don't know how to implement) is to use a marker file and the find command of grub. I will still need to use grub4dos so it can read from the ntfs partition. I would writesomething like "default=find /boot/bootthisdrive" in the coorect syntaxwhich I dont even know if it is possible.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 09:14:09 AM by shoarthing » Logged
shoarthing
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 08:50:07 PM »

I have a dual boot set up to boot to windows by default. I want to be able to switch from within windows to reboot into linux. From linux to be able to choose to reboot to windows.

I had 2 ideas how to do this.

First I tried using grub4dos chainloaded from ntldr using c:\grldr="load grub" in boot.ini and setting the deafault to be the windows partition. in order to shutdown to linux i ran a batch file that rewrote boot.ini "default=" line to read "deafault=c:\grldr" and then reboot the computer. -- It workedto reboot into linux but I cannot write the boot.ini from within linux because then windows is not able to read it. The closest I can do is del the boot.ini file and then it will anyway boot c:\windows. but I want it to default to windowswith a choice for linux.

Second way I thought about (but don't know how to implement) is to use a marker file and the find command of grub. I will still need to use grub4dos so it can read from the ntfs partition. I would writesomething like "default=find /boot/bootthisdrive" in the coorect syntaxwhich I dont even know if it is possible.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
internet marketing toronto (http://www.bayst-search-engine-optimization.com)
conversion analysis (http://fruition.net/internet-marketing/)

. .  appears to be OK advice . . . *but* you are spamming via your 'signature' & you will be banned & all posts deleted unless you fix this within 24 hours  - OK?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 09:14:37 AM by shoarthing » Logged
susanspy

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 09:44:33 PM »

Hello all,

i am sichk with windows so shifting to linux please let me kwo which is the best distributon o get for linux as the os on my pc i have been using 98 then xp now both suck

please help.

Cheers!!!
shoarthing
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 04:52:43 AM »

susanspy - Hi - openSUSE is the Linux distribution I like best; but have for some time run OSX on all my computers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: